March 19, 2015: TV Ontario broadcast an episode of The Agenda with Steve Paiken in which our own Marina Sokolova was the scientist on the panel discussing "The Invasion of the Algorithms".
Watch it on YouTube:
Official Launch of the Institute
On July 18, 2013, the Faculty of Computer Science officially launched the Institute for Big Data Analytics.
The atrium was filled with a buzz of excitement from staff, faculty and senior administration from the University, industry partners and government, as everyone mingled and listened on as speakers unveiled the goals of, along with the amount of support for, the Institute.
Speakers included Dr. Mike Shepherd (Dean, Faculty of Computer Science), Dr. Martha Crago (VP Research), Honourable Minister Graham Steele (Economic and Rural Development and Tourism), Dave Kasik (Boeing Senior Technical Fellow) and Dr. Stan Matwin (Director, Institute for Big Data Analytics).
The mission for this institute is to create knowledge and expertise in the field of Big Data Analytics by facilitating fundamental, interdisciplinary and collaborative research, advanced applications, advanced training and partnerships with industry.
Press Coverage of the Launch
- Institute for Big Data Analyitcs website
- Dal News Story: A big day for big data at Dalhousie
- Dal's Media Centre Release: Faculty of Computer Sceince launches Canada's first big data research institute
- The Chronicle Herald Story: Big data big at Dal
- NovaScotia.ca Release: Big Data Takes Off in Nova Scotia (also on Nova Scotia NDP)
- The Yarmouth County Vanguard Story: Big data takes off in Nova Scotia
- Heise Online: Kanada gründet Uni-Institut für Big Data Analyse (German)